Frequently Asked Questions

Investing in Safety and Success for STUDENTS! 

School Bond Basics

What are school bonds?

Bonds for schools are voter-approved funds that can be used for school facilities and other essential school needs. The district sells bonds to investors who will be paid back over time with funds raised through property taxes. School bonds begin with a general election to authorize a specific amount for projects detailed on the ballot. 

What is a mill levy

A Mill Levy is a tax on the assessed value of property (such as land, buildings, vehicles, etc...) in a given jurisdiction. Mill Levies are expressed in $1 of tax per $1,000 of assessed value. The mill levy is set by the public in order to fund public services such as schools, city services, parks, and recreation areas. The total value of property in the jurisdiction will be taxed at the mill levy rate to raise funds needed for the public services.

how can school bond money be used?

Proceeds from school bonds can be used for capital expenditures, including remodeling and repairing existing school facilities, the construction of building projects like classrooms, stadiums, and libraries, as well as the acquisition of land.  Funds can also be used for the purchase of buses, equipment, and materials, including textbooks, computers, technology infrastructure, musical instruments, science materials, and other resources. 

can bond funds be used for things like teacher salaries or operations?

No. By law, bonds cannot be used for teacher salaries or recurring expenses such as utilities and operations. Bonds are earmarked for one-time costs such as school facilities, capital improvements, instructional materials, and transportation. 

What happens if a project comes in under budget?

The funds raised from a special bond election can only be used on the project(s) described in the ballot language. Any remaining funds after the project is completed can only be used to enhance the specific approved project or to pay down the bond. However, just like a personal mortgage, a bond can be refinanced when it benefits the district. 

2023 Bond for Hugoton USD 210

what is the bond question? how will it appear on the ballot?

The question on the ballot will appear as follows:

"Shall the following be adopted? 

Shall Unified School District No. 210, Stevens County, Kansas (Hugoton), issue general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $35,615,000, to pay the costs to:  (a) construct, furnish, and equip renovations and improvements to Hugoton High School, including to the existing High School and shop facilities, a new gymnasium, related connections, and a new transportation facility; (b) construct, furnish, and equip renovations and improvements to Hugoton Elementary School, including to the classrooms, entryway, kitchen and cafeteria areas, courtyard, playground, and play areas, and storm shelter improvements; (c) construct, furnish, and equip renovations and improvements to other District facilities; and (d) all other necessary improvements related thereto (collectively the “Project”), and to pay costs of issuance and interest on said general obligation bonds during construction of the Project; all pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 10-101 et seq., K.S.A. 25-2018(f), K.S.A. 72-5457, and K.S.A. 72-5458 et seq.?

To vote in favor of the question would be to respond "Yes."

will the 2023 bond for hugoton usd 210 increase my taxes?

Yes, if the bond question is approved, the projected mill levy increase would be 8 mills. The approximate tax impact per property type is shown below.

timeline of how the 2023 bond developed?


In 2016, the aging HVAC system at the elementary school was replaced, ensuring a comfortable learning environment for the students. Recognizing the importance of health and wellness, the district prioritized the replacement of the track and football fields, providing a safe environment for physical education, exercise, activities, and community gatherings. Sprinkler systems were diligently repaired or replaced, and a number of roofs underwent restoration, preventing further damage to the buildings.


Despite our efforts, it became evident that some of the major facility needs required more significant financial investment than the district could cover through annual budgets alone.  The USD 210 Board of Education initiated preliminary discussions on the facility challenges. However, these conversations were soon overshadowed by the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, which demanded the district's immediate attention to ensure the continuity of education.

Fall 2022

The Board of Education recognized that a bond issue was necessary to tackle the remaining facility challenges effectively. By engaging in open discussions and thoughtful planning, they sought to gain community support and present a comprehensive plan to address the needs while minimizing the financial impact on taxpayers. The USD 210 Board welcomed insights from a number of community and staff focus groups where participants toured facilities and provided feedback on the strengths, weaknesses, and needs of the current buildings. This information was compiled for the Board of Education to prioritize and begin making plans.

November 2022

The Board of Education and Facilities Committee interviews architectural firms to develop more refined plans and begin involving more stakeholders in the design process. SPT Architecture was selected.

March 2023

The Board of Education and Facilities Committee interviews construction companies to further involve more stakeholders in the preconstruction process. Simpson Construction Services was selected. Additionally, a comprehensive survey was delivered to staff and community focus groups. Overall, the results showed large support for the proposed bond.

June 2023

Bond Campaign Committee (KIDS) was formed. The committee consisted of approximately 20 community members, local business owners, parents, students, and USD 210 staff.

August 2023

Multiple bond information meetings will be held at different locations throughout the community of Hugoton.

August 29, 2023 - Election Day

how will people in our community who don't have students in school benefit from this bond?

Great schools are the heart of thriving communities and cities. Young people are our future workforce, homeowners, and taxpayers, and our schools prepare these young leaders to be successful in college, careers, and life. When a community invests in its schools, it is investing in a stronger, brighter future for all residents. That same investment in schools also keeps neighborhoods vital, safe, and attractive while increasing property values. 

Not only is it important to have improved learning environments for our students so we can help prepare them for the future, but having quality facilities helps our district attract and retain teachers, faculty, and administrators.

If you have ever had children in public school or were a public school student yourself, people before you helped to fund the schools you and/or your child(ren) attended. Likewise, when current residents help pay for the schools we have now, they are investing in the future. As new residents move into our district, they assume these taxes as well. Regardless of where you live in Kansas, your property taxes will help fund schools in that area.

Voting Information

when is the vote?

The bond question will be held on the August 29th, 2023 ballot. The polls will open at Memorial Hall for all USD 210 registered voters at 7 am and will close at 7 pm on election day.

Early voting will begin August 22, 2023 from 9 am - 5 pm (Monday through Friday) and on August 28 from 9 am - 12 pm at the Clerk's Office.

how do i register to vote?

There are three ways you can register to vote in Kansas:

** The deadline for voter registration is AUGUST 8TH.**

where do i vote?

Voting will be held on August 29th at Memorial Hall located at 200 E 6th St, Hugoton, KS 67951.

how can i register to vote?

Voter Eligibility in Kansas requires the following 4 items:


If you are already registered and would like to verify what information is on file with the Secretary of State, you can do that at